Thursday, November 15, 2012

Like a 2 Year Old

Like a 2 year old - Why?


If “Why?” is the question (as indicated in mylast post), then I had better explain why I choose to pursue a Master Degree in Business Administration.  You know by now that I was not seeking something to occupy my spare time.  The thought of returning to the classroom first crossed my mind four years ago.  At this time I enrolled as a full-time student at The University of Texas Medical Branch.  Rather, than an MBA, I was studying to earn the designation “Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB)” signifying I officially know EVERYTHING about transfusion medicine! (Ha!  If only, that was true!) 

While completing this coursework, I worked as a mid-level supervisor.  To beat the band, the company I worked for was merging our operations with another firm.  Most of you are probably cringing right now but don’t – the merger was the best thing that has happened thus far in my career.  Because of the merger, my position was eliminated and I was reassigned to a different department in the other company.  (STOP cringing!!)  The Client Services/ Business Development department welcomed me with open arms as I was to serve as the link between the new company and our current clients. 

Despite not supervising any employees in my new position, I was reporting directly to the Vice President of this new department.  The fact that not everyone “got along” with this VP didn’t scare me, because I know a thing or two about not being “liked” because I am assertive and determined.  As a teen, I played competitive softball and to say I was an aggressive competitor would be the understatement of the year. 

I digress… this VP empowered and encourage me to leverage my talents, including my competitive nature, to the benefit of the firm.  Also, she was not surprised when I informed her that I wanted to align myself to fill her position when she retired!  Beyond not being alarmed, she challenged me “not to stop there”.  First step to “there” – MBA!

No comments:

Post a Comment